Almost a year - gotta be some sort of record. Might have to change the name to 'Urban Man out of Media'.
Time to resurrect.
Busy year - a few shows come and gone. Now a vespa owner (great for the commute, and the wife loves it).
Seems that the time has come and gone to 'play' with the blog and it is now time to take it more seriously.
I realized a few things throughout the Spring of this year. My career and personal position within it truly has responsibilities. I am no longer a 'newcomer' to the industry, nor an 'emerging talent'. I think (if I do say so myself), I am 'established'.
Sounds great, but as many will tell you, when you've got nothing to loose, things can only get better. When you have an established history and reputation (a good one), not only do you have to strive for continued excellence and maintain your professional relations, you also end up with a greater role in your community.
Some people inherently value this role, I've seen newcomers with the appreciation for community, often because of what it has to offer by being associated with it. But as you go through your professional career journey, the information you amass offers a certain perspective where by situations and/or conversations that were once new and horizon-expanding, are recurring.
You've been through them before, and have seen the variety of outcomes (depending on how many times you've been privy to that specific instance). The question is, will you be at the table, able to offer insight as to how those situations can/might play out this time? Are there new variables involved now that weren't the last time(s) you had seen it through? Are you informed? Are you relevant to your community and have a voice?
I have grappled with this for the past year or so, coming to certain realizations as mentioned above, this past Spring, and now continuing to act upon it by reviving this dusty, old blog.
So what happened in the Spring that shone light on this newly discovered role?
For the more than the past 10 years, as a partner in fish-fry music and sound, our communications and efforts in relationship development have been focused on promoting our services as original music composers to tv/film directors and producers. Raising awareness, of course, on why they should hire us.
In the Spring, I began noticing a strange occurance. I started receiving emails/calls from people we've gotten to know over the past decade (clients and potential clients, not competition!), looking for advice, recommendations, references as to contacts that we could put them in touch with, in efforts for them to promote their careers/projects. Seemed a little far-fetched at first, the concept that we might be able to offer them something more than originally composed music, but this was in fact the case.
I managed to break it down to this: We've been doing well - touch wood - with our business. We show an initiative, acumen, pride and commitment to our craft, as well as to the industry that hires us. We endeavour to approach everything with the highest level of integrity. It would seem that this has not gone unnoticed, and has been given a 'weight' within our circles. It's a very exciting prospect that we could earn loyalty by giving something more than great service and product; being a resource for connections. I had never considered that aspect of business before. At least, for my business.
So, my question to you: What are you already, kind of doing in your business that you consider to be 'nothing of consequential value' that will indirectly add benefit to those you provide service or product to? It is quite possibly those things that differ you from 'just another person providing that service or product', and also a big reason clients will come back to YOU.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment